Friday, May 25, 2007

15 Before You Are 15

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to everyone. I have always loved this weekend because it feels like the start of summertime and is usually a good weekend for a little road trip. No trip report for us this year... instead I have a list, taken from this article ,of 15 places in America that your children should see before they turn 15.

They are:

Ellis Island Museum, NY
Lincoln Memorial, Washington DC
Colonial Williamsburg, VA
Pearl Harbor, HI
Grand Canyon, AZ
National Civil Rights Museum, Memphis
Redwoods National Park, CA
Monticello, VA
Gettysburg, PA
The Alamo, TX
Ground Zero, NYC
Niagra Falls, NY
Freedom Trail, Boston
Independence Hall, Philadelphia
Walt Disney World Resort, Orlando

You can read a little blurb about each place and find links in the article. I have seen 7 of the 15...Ellis Island, Lincoln Memorial, Colonial Williamsburg, Redwoods National Park, Monticello, Ground Zero, and Independence Hall. I have many ideas to add to this list as well but it's a good start. Fun to think of all the places that our family has yet to discover together....

Looking for ideas for a girls weekend? The same Budget Travel website has a link for girlfriend getaway ideas here.

We'll be home this weekend...I have a Southern Living At Home party tomorrow morning (I'm a consultant) and then going to see Pirates of the Carribean tomorrow night!!! Love Johnny Depp! Sunday and Monday will be preparing for our community garage sale happening next weekend, visiting our local garden nursery, visiting family, and other assorted odds and ends. I have a few mojito recipes I think I'll try to perfect before the heat of summer is upon us...lol

Whatever your plans, have a great weekend!

Edit... I can't believe that I forgot to mention that this is the beginning weekend of the great potty training adventure. Yes, my child is almost 4 and refuses to use the potty. I have heard from everyone not to force the issue but it is coming down to that point. Pretty soon, I'll have to cancel all of her activities because they don't allow 4 year olds with diapers to participate. I have really tried everything from gentle encouragement and reminders to (and this was not a proud parenting moment) threatening to cancel her 4th birthday because "you can't turn 4 years old until you are out of diapers - they don't allow it" said the exasperated mommy...granted it is 4 months away but she is looking forward to it. So, with advice and encouragement from N's preschool teacher (this is her special ed preschool teacher- not the community preschool she won't be allowed into come September and no days of the week undie wearing) we will commence this weekend with the ceremonial removing of the diaper drawer and replace it with all of the special undies that I have been purchasing (with the hopes that the idea of being able to plaster Dora and Cinderella across her little fanny would be plenty of encouragement to drop her pull-ups and claim her time on the toiddy). Sigh...this is one of the reasons we're sticking around this weekend. We're going cold turkey and need to be near the potty at all times. Thankfully, or maybe not...I don't know..we got rid of our carpet this year and installed laminate flooring everywhere. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Steffie B. said...

Wonderful places to go...thanks for listing them...good luck ont he potty training this week! ;)

Karin said...

Wow, for someone who has traveled quite a bit, I only saw 3 of the things on the list before I was 15(one didn't exist) and only 7 to this point. One I have probably seen 15 times or more--I live about an hour from Niagara Falls.

Good luck with the potty training. We just got rid of the carpet on one floor of the house and the laminate is going in in the next few weeks! That floor may be off limits if we ever get to the point you're at with the training, but that is way far ahead--we have to get the kid first!